Companion (Broward)Location: Broward County
Location: Broward County
Are you a caring and passionate individual who wants to help seniors within your community? Are you interested in a career where you can make meaningful connections with people, enjoy a flexible work schedule as well as opportunities for ongoing education and career development? At FirstLantic, we offer all of these opportunities and more. If you are looking for a career (and not just a job) and you want to work for a company where you can thrive, then FirstLantic would like to speak with you. Please read through the full job description and apply below if you fulfill all of the necessary qualifications.
“Companion” means a person who spends time with or cares for an elderly, handicapped, or convalescent individual and accompanies such individual on trips and outings and may prepare and serve meals to such individual. A companion does not provide hands-on personal care to a client.
LINE OF AUTHORITY:
Works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent preferred.
• Training in the topics related to human development and interpersonal relationships; nutrition, shopping, food storage, use of equipment and supplies, planning and organizing of household, tasks, and principals of cleanliness and safety
• Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
• Good verbal and written communication skills with patients and in-office
• Ability to deal with simple problems in the home setting
• Current health certificate
• Must be able to perform described duties listed on this job
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The companion shall:
• Provide companionship for the client;
o through reading, activities, conversation, and listening
o participating in appropriate recreational activities and hobbies for social and sensory stimulation
o assisting the patient/client in completing necessary phone calls, letter writing, etc.
• Provide emotional support and promote a sense of well-being.
• Accompany the client to doctors’ appointments, recreational outings, or shopping
• Perform light housekeeping tasks such as preparation of meals or laundering clothes to maintain a clean, neat environment
• Perform casual, cosmetic assistance, such as assisting with make-up etc.
• Maintain a chronological written record of services
• Report any unusual incidents or changes in the patient’s behavior to the case manager
• Utilize safety measures in the provision of duties
• Maintain confidentiality of all patient and agency information
• Adhere to all Agency Policies
• Recognize emergencies and call for professional help
• Demonstrates knowledge regarding basic infection control procedures.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will be expected to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or other management personnel.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL LIMITATIONS STATEMENT
Heavy physical demands – involves lifting up to 50 pounds, bending stooping and stretching. Must be adaptable to a variety of environments and settings in the community. Must have transportation to and from assignments. Minimal exertion on a regular or recurring basis, such as lifting, bending or reaching.
The company reserves the right to revise and/or change job descriptions and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
By submitting an application, I acknowledge I have read and understood the above job description of Companion.